Private Landlord Rent Supplement Tenants

This information is for tenants currently participating in our Private Landlord Rent Supplement program. 

Clicking any of the following links will take you to that topic on the page:

Landlord - Tenant Relationship Questions about Tenancy Rent
Income Reviews Personal Information Extended Absences
Family Members Appeals

Landlord - Tenant Relationship

Tenants sign a lease agreement with a private landlord. Under the agreement, they abide by the rules and regulations established by the landlord.

Back to the top of the page

Questions about Tenancy

Any questions the tenants may have about rental payments, upkeep of the residential premises, emergencies after hours, problems with neighbours, moving out, etc, should be directed to the private landlord.

Back to the top of the page


Rent is calculated using the rules in the Alberta Housing Act. Rent includes heat, water, and sewer costs. Tenants pay extra for electricity.

Rent Schedule

For tenants receiving money from Alberta Employment and Immigration, including Income Support and Alberta Works funding, the rent is based on the Rent Schedule in effect.

30% of Income

When tenants earn money from other sources, such as employment or pensions, rent is based on 30% of their gross monthly income.

Minimum Rent

The lowest amount the rent will be is $120 per month.

Back to the top of the page

Income Reviews

Annual Income Reviews

Tenants complete an Annual Income Review Form each year. The information is used to ensure that they still qualify for subsidized housing and to determine their next year's rent. Forms are mailed to tenants approximately four months before their anniversary date.

Changes during the Year

Tenants must complete a Change of Information Form to advise of changes that occur during the year if:

  • they start to receive Income Support or Alberta Works funding from Alberta Employment and immigration - their rent will be based on the Rent Schedule in effect
  • their gross monthly income decreases by more than $35 - their rent may be lowered
  • someone moves in or out - their rent will be recalculated based on the new family composition

Back to the top of the page

Personal Information


It is necessary to collect personal information from applicants and tenants to determine their eligibility for the program and to calculate their rent.

Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy

Information is protected by the privacy provisions of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act. Questions regarding the collection of personal information may be directed to the Lease Administration Clerk III at Capital Region Housing, 780-420-6161.

Back to the top of the page

Extended Absences

Tenants occasionally need to leave their residential premises for extended periods of time - more than 30 days - for reasons that may include vacation, training, treatments, or family crisis.

Before leaving, they must contact Capital Region Housing to advise of their absence. Generally, tenants are eligible for the subsidy only when they occupy their rental unit. In special circumstances, the subsidy may continue for up to a maximum of 60 days if the tenants are away from their premises.

Back to the top of the page

Family Members

In the case of adding family members or other occupants who are 15 years of age or older, verification of income, assets, school registration, and identification may be required. The private landlord's permission is also required.

In the case of removing a family member, a letter from the remaining lease holder is required. The letter must include the date the person is vacating, and be signed and dated.


Tenants are to contact the lease administration clerk in the event of a death. The clerk will advise of any information that may be needed.

Back to the top of the page


Tenants may appeal any decision made by Capital Region Housing. To do so, submit a written appeal letter to the Executive Director at the address noted on the side of this page.

The Executive Director will review the appeal, but will not always respond personally. In such cases, a designated alternate will evaluate the situation and respond as needed.

Back to the top of the page



Contact Us

Office Address:
Capital Region Housing Corporation
10232 - 112 Street NW
Edmonton, Alberta T5K 1M4

Office Hours:
8:30 am to 4:00 pm, Monday to Friday
(closed statutory holidays)

Telephone: 780-420-6161

Information Line: 780-428-8200
(24 hour recording with general information about who qualifies and how to apply)

Fax: 780-426-6854





Copyright © 2018 Capital Region Housing Corporation 10232 - 112 Street NW Edmonton, Alberta, Canada T5K 1M4 Phone:780-420-6161 Fax:780-426-6854